Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Magic and the Mirror

What is seeking to emerge through me right now? Well I’m not sure, but I know it’s got something to do with magic.

My name is Trudi White and I believe in magic.

Oh not the David Blaine or Sigfried and Roy type of magic.

I believe in the kind of magic that each of us can generate in our own lives.

I guess that’s why I wrote a novel where I compare the protagonists to Fairy Godmothers.

But to me a Fairy Godmother has a very modern, very new thought kind of meaning.  See. to me... the Fairy Godmother represents the magic within each of us. The potential to create whatever we choose in our lives. She's the part of us sometimes called the Inner Being, the True Self or the Higher Self.

She knows we're perfect. She knows we came to this life intentionally. She really is the "God"mother of our being. Capable of creating whatever we choose in this life. The strength, the wisdom, the certainty to propel us forward.

The Godmother is always there guiding us - leading us - waiting for us. She spends a lot of time waiting for us. Mostly waiting for us to understand how perfect and powerful we are. Waiting for us to let in the Good that has been prepared for us.

She knows. Knows we're good. Knows we're God. Knows its all perfect.

I have always been drawn to Cinderella stories - the classic story and newly styled versions like "Ever After." When I was younger, I think was drawn to them for the rescue aspect. Cinderella being rescued by her Fairy Godmother and the Prince.

Now I think the pull for me is the emergence of an Inner Self that is much more beautiful, much more wise and much more authentic than anyone would ever have guessed. I like the idea of the Inner Light shining forth into the world.

The prince in Cinderella to me represents any heartfelt dream. The chance to truly shine. So it's not about rescue for me anymore. It’s about recognizing my own Inner Godmother and stepping into my own Glory.

I believe in magic and the tricks of the trade – well really they are tools of the trade. I’m not talking about Harry Potter with Magic wands and spell books, even though I love Harry Potter.
 I’m talking about tools like mirrors.

Only it doesn’t have to be a physical mirror. I’m talking about using the whole world as your mirror and especially other people. I know a lot of people going around talking about projection. They talk about seeing things in others that you don’t like in yourself. But I really prefer to focus on positive projection.

Probably everyone has someone they tremendously. But we do that because we recognize something of ourselves in them. And we’re delighted and awed to see it held up to our faces as the mirror of the possibilities of our own lives.

When we start to get the hang of the reflective quality of the universe we can start deliberately holding up the mirror to each other – kinda like we did in class last week. We can help each other look into that mirror and see the best of ourselves.

One of the characters in The Goddess Documents says this about the reflective qualities of the mirror:

“We use the mirror to strip away the doubt. We use the mirror to strip away the layers of falseness and uncertainty we have learned to carry. In the mirror we use, there is no need for the trappings of the world. In our mirrors, God is always present. God is present in each of our young women. Just as God is present in each human being. But in our mirrors the complications are removed. Only the truth of the soul remains.
 
She goes on to say – talking about someone being helped by the mirror:

 “She sees it by looking in her own eyes. She sees the possibilities. From that moment on the world no longer looks the same. Most women immediately assume complete responsibility for their lives. They see the potential in themselves and use that knowledge to launch themselves more fully into their lives and into the world. They step out of an ordinary existence into the truth of their own divinity.

You see, once a woman sees the truth about herself, she can also see beyond herself. She sees the places in the world where she can help others. She sees the potential of the world where love, hope and compassion are reflected. She finds the cause bigger than herself that can change the world.”

Jesus said in John 14:12 “the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do.” At that point he held up the mirror to all in attendance and said. “Hey look folks, I’m just showing you all what you are capable of. The magic, the mirror – the possibilities.

 What is seeking to emerge in me right now? A way for me to be a mirror. A mirror that reflects that best of each person I meet. A mirror that reflects the best of the new age that is being born right now.

When I was in college, I worked in the career education center. We helped prepare graduating seniors for interviews. I don’t know if that’s where I first learned benefit of diving into the past for those gems of life that emphasize the best of who we are. But I know there’s a magic in that. There’s a magic about looking into past experiences and seeing how you excelled.

I guess that’s one of the reasons that some people find themselves in times of crisis, whether it’s a 9/11, cancer or a family emergency. They find the magic in themselves that they didn’t know they had before .

Another tool that magic loves is listening.

I’ve been told I’m a really good listener. I guess it’s because I listen for inner resources and strength. Whenever some lives to tell you of their tragedy, they really live to tell you of their strength. That strength could be survival or it could be triumph over the odds. Either way there’s magic there.

What is seeking to emerge in me right now? A way of listening and reflecting that recognizes and magnifies the strength and triumph of us all.

Magic also loves using inspiration as a tool. That inspiration can come from another person. But it can also come from a story. I guess that’s why I love books and movies that inspire. Those that make you think outside the box. Stories that consider the possibility that there's more to life than what we see on TV. Stories that inspire dreaming. Stories that inspire authentic living. Magical stories.

What is seeking to emerge in me right now? Stories that reflect and inspire.

Another tool that magic loves is silence. We know here about going into the silence over and over again.

Ernest Holmes said “One of our ancient sayings is that 'To the man who can
perfectly ponder inaction, all things are possible."

Silence is where we find our demons and our gods. The demons that rule us. The demons whisper, speak and sometimes scream at us when we try to sit quietly.

But when we sit in silence and watch our breath or chant a mantra, the silence becomes a profound source of comfort and peace. And in that moment we can become one with the universe. We can find comfort, answers, and yes even God. And what greater magic is there?

What is seeking to emerge in my now? Silence. Even in the midst of a storm. A way of peaceful being that allows God to flow through and as me in the world.

What is seeking to emerge in me now? MAGIC! The magic to be silent and listen. The magic to reflect and inspire. The magic to know the best in everyone I see.

No comments: